Vegan Savory Cheese Bread Rolls Recipe
These vegan cheese bread rolls are a savory twist on cinnamon rolls (of course without the cinnamon), but these pinwheel style bread rolls are filled with creamy cheese filling and chives. Cheesy Bread Rolls are delicious on their own as a snack, or as a side dish to dip in your favorite sauce or soup – I’m thinking a new plant based vegan take on Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese is in order: Hello tomato soup with cheese rolls!
These Vegan Cheesy Rolls are:
Making Vegan Cheese Rolls without Cashews
This recipe for vegan cheese rolls uses cashews for creamy texture and flavor, but you could certainly make it without cashews. Use peeled raw almonds or raw, hulled sunflower seeds as a substitution for the cashews in this recipe. I love the cashews for this recipe because they have a mild flavor and blend up to make a smooth creamy sauce.
Where do these Vegan Cheesy Rolls get their Cheese Flavor?
How to Make Vegan Cheese Rolls:
To make these vegan friendly cheese rolls, first you need to make the dough. You don’t need to go crazy kneading it, in fact I only knead it a handful of times just until the dough is combined and almost smooth. I let it rise for 30 – 45 minutes and then roll it out on a floured surface into a large rectangle. When you are adding the cheese sauce to the rolls, you can stay away from the edges if you want, but I like to spread the sauce all the way to the edges so when I roll it up, some squishes out the sides to add more flavor to the outside of the rolls too! Fair warning: it’s going to get messy! Once the sauce is added, you can roll the dough up into a long log, then slice it into 10 – 12 equal sized slices, place it in the pan and bake! If you are using traditional yeast, you will want to let the rolls rise for a second time for another 45 minutes or so, before baking, but if you use quick rise yeast, you can forgo a second rise, and pop the pan straight in the oven.
Vegan Cheese Rolls
- 1 Cup Cashew Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Chives, fresh or dried, finely diced
- In a microwave-safe dish, heat the cashew milk in a microwave just until warm (approximately 45 seconds on high). Pour the yeast onto the milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Sift together the flour, salt and sugar. Then stir into the milk and yeast.
- Mix together and then knead approximately 10 times, until smooth.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Blend together cashews, nutritional yeast, water, salt, garlic powder and lemon juice. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle approximately 10″ x 13″.
- Spread the filling in an even layer over the dough, then sprinkle the chives over the filling.
- Roll the dough lengthwise, to create a long log. Slice the roll into 10 – 12 equal slices, and place the rolls into a parchment lined or non-stick cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Did you make this recipe?