As a child, we used to have what we called “sticky chicken” for dinner some nights. I was thinking about how I could make something similar for dinner as a vegan. I considered using either chickpeas or cauliflower, and cauliflower won the draw this time. It was a good decision in the end, because the cauliflower has perfect edges for the batter and sauce to stick to. This ended up being nothing like my moms sticky chicken… I think the first biggest difference – aside from using cauliflower instead of chicken – is that is was very sesame-centric. The sesame oil I added really took over the flavor, which actually worked out quite well; now I have a fantastic, delicious Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Recipe to share with you! I will be trying again for vegan sticky chicken in the future, but in the meantime, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try!
How to make Refined Sugar Free, Vegan Sticky Sesame Cauliflower:
To make this vegan sticky sesame cauliflower, first, I batter and bake the cauliflower. This cooks the cauliflower and gives the sauce something to hold on to. While the cauliflower is baking, I prepare the sauce on the stovetop, by heating together soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, and agave syrup, then adding in some cornstarch water. Once the cauliflower and the sauce are all cooked, the cauliflower is then tossed in the sticky sesame sauce. The cornstarch in the sauce helps thicken it up, but much of the “stickiness” comes from the sugar – the agave syrup in this case – if you don’t have agave syrup, this recipe would work great with brown sugar as well!
- 1 Medium Sized Cauliflower (Approximately 4-5 Cups Florets)
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
Sticky Sesame Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Agave Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Prepare the cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder and water.
- Toss the cauliflower in the batter until each piece is coated evenly.
- Spread the cauliflower onto a lined sheet pan, and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower bakes, prepare the sauce: In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, whisk together soy sauce, agave syrup, sesame oil, and grated ginger. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir together the cornstarch and cold water, then stir into the sauce. Cook just until thickened, approximately 1 minute.
- Stir the toasted sesame seeds into the sauce and set aside.
- When the cauliflower has finished baking, remove it from the oven and toss it in the sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 844mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g