This recipe for easy vegan borscht is made with simple ingredients and is ready in under an hour. This recipe is delicious on its own, but it is even better when it’s served with a dollop of vegan sour cream or plain dairy-free yogurt. Fresh vegetables like beets, carrots and celery add flavor to the soup broth; so no premade soup stock is required to make this borscht. Simply add the ingredients and let it simmer.
The longer the soup simmers, the deeper red and more flavorful the broth becomes. I recommend cooking the soup for at least thirty minutes. If you have more time on your hands, I highly recommend letting the soup simmer for an hour or so. The flavor will be much deeper and you’ll be glad you waited.
This recipe for easy vegan borscht is:
Made without Chicken Broth or Vegetable Stock
Made with simple ingredients
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 Carrot, Peeled and Finely Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, Finely Chopped
- 5 Beets, Peeled and Diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Pepper
- 5 Cups Water
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a medium pot, and sauté the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beets, salt, pepper and water, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for at least 30 minutes until the beets are tender. Serve with dairy-free sour cream, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 374mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g