with Marshmallow, Chocolate and Toasted Walnuts
This Rocky Road inspired coffee flavored vegan ice cream is a fantastic treat to enjoy on a hot summer afternoon! This ice cream is made with a coffee infused cashew coconut base, creating a delicious smooth vegan ice cream perfect for loading with your favorite mix-ins.
I have to be honest, when I started mixing these ingredients together I had no intention of making ice cream. Actually, I had planned on making coffee and chocolate squares; but I was too excited about making the coffee filling, that I put half of the ingredients in the blender and realized I hadn’t yet made the crust. This meant that I would have to pour this filling into a bowl while I made the crust. While I was waiting for my coffee and cashews to boil, I pondered my laziness. I ultimately decided that I really didn’t want to make more dishes for myself. I also noted that this was very similar to the ingredients I have previously used while making vegan ice cream, and how amazing it would taste with chocolate… and vegan marshmallows… and toasted walnuts! I was sold. I was so excited to make a rocky road inspired coffee flavored ice cream at this point, I forgot all about the coffee chocolate squares. Maybe next time…
How to make Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
Once I blended up the coffee flavored ice cream base, I poured it into a loaf pan and popped it in the freezer for a couple hours. While it was setting, I toasted some chopped walnuts in the oven. After two hours, the ice cream was still soft but thick enough to hold the mix-ins in place. I added the walnuts and marshmallows and chocolate chunks, and then popped it back into the freezer to freeze completely. Once it was frozen, it was pretty solid, I recommend letting it sit on the counter for five minutes before scooping it.
Vegan Coffee Ice Cream Flavor Add-ins:
In this recipe for vegan ice cream, I use a coffee flavored base and add-in vegan marshmallow, chocolate chunks, and toasted walnuts. You could add any toppings/mix-ins of your choice. Here are a few ideas: Hazelnuts; Toasted Coconut Cookie Crumbs; Caramelized Maple Syrup; Crumbled Biscotti; Chocolate Chips; Toasted Nuts; Vegan Marshmallows; Chocolate Ganache (you could spread this on top of the half-set ice cream, then swirl it into the ice cream before freezing completely)
- 1 1/2 Cups Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Dates
- 1 Cup Strong Brewed Coffee
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Agave Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts
- 1 Cup Vegan Mini-Marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- In a small saucepan, boil together the coffee, cashews, and dates. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the coffee infused cashews and dates into a blender along with the coconut cream, coconut oil and agave syrup. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into a loaf pan and freeze for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F
- Spread the walnuts on a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- After two hours, use a handheld electric mixer to mix the toasted walnuts, chocolate, and vegan marshmallows into the ice cream.
- Return to the freezer for a least one more hour to finish freezing.
- Transfer to an airtight, freezer safe container for storage. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g