This dessert recipe for mint chocolate squares, is vegan and gluten free. It’s also refined sugar free and there is no baking required! I was actually in the process of brainstorming a recipe for vegan Nanaimo bars, when I decided I should probably utilize some of the fresh mint that was in the fridge. It didn’t take too much thought after that to decide I should make these chocolate mint squares. The flavors in this recipe are quite similar to my Mint Chocolate No Bake Cake; however the crust is different, and this dessert is topped with a vegan chocolate ganache.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Squares:
To make these delicious desserts, first you need to prepare the crust. In a blender or food processor, blend together shredded coconut and oats until they become coarse crumbs. Melt coconut oil and blend it together with some dates. The pieces of dates should end up smaller than the size of a raisin. Mix together the coconut and oats with the dates and coconut oil, and press into a 9 x 13” cake pan.
The next layer is the mint filling. Boil together dates and cashews in a pot of water. Once the liquid has been absorbed and the dates and cashews are soft, blend them together with coconut cream, coconut oil, maple syrup, and fresh mint leaves. Use a rubber spatula to spread the mint filling into an even layer on top of the coconut crust. Set aside.
The last layer is the vegan chocolate ganache. Heat chocolate chips and coconut milk over low heat, stirring constantly just until the chocolate is all melted. Pour the chocolate ganache over the mint filling, and use a rubber spatula to carefully spread it into a smooth even layer.
Freeze the pan for 2 hours, then slice the dessert into squares.
These mint chocolate squares will keep well in the fridge for a few days, however I recommend storing them in an airtight container in the freezer. The squares are rather thin and will defrost quickly when you need them, and they are also delicious and easier to hold in your hand to eat fork-free when they are still frozen.
- 2 Cups Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Oats
- 1/4 Cup Dates
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Dates
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Cream
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup or Agave Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Sugar Free)
- Blend together the coconut and oats until they become coarse crumbs.
- Place the dates and coconut oil in a small container and microwave for 45 seconds.
- Blend together the dates and coconut oil until the pieces of dates are all smaller than the size of a raisin.
- Mix together the coconut and oats with the dates and coconut oil, and press into a 9 x 13” cake pan.
- Place the dates, cashews, and water, in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until there is no more water left in the pot.
- Add the cashews and dates to a blender along with the coconut cream, coconut oil, maple syrup, and mint leaves. Blend until smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the mint filling into an even layer on top of the coconut crust. Set aside.
Prepare the Chocolate Ganache
- In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate chips and coconut milk over low heat, stirring constantly just until the chocolate is all melted.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the mint filling, and use a rubber spatula to carefully spread it into a smooth even layer.
Freeze the dessert for 2 hours, then remove from the pan and slice into squares.
Store these mint chocolate squares in an airtight container in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g