This recipe for easy vegan butter tarts should be in everybody’s recipe collection! Butter Tarts are a Canadian dessert, often made around Christmas time. They are almost like a miniature pecan pie, with less focus on the pecans and more focus on the gooey butter filling. I have always loved butter tarts, but most traditional recipes call for eggs and butter – making them not very vegan friendly… I have been testing my vegan butter tart recipe over the last couple years; and have found success with this recipe.
How to Make Vegan Butter Tarts:
First thing’s first: you’ll need to defrost a package of vegan-friendly tart shells, or make your own by pressing the dough from a vegan pie crust recipe into a muffin pan.
Bake the tart shells at 375F for 10 minutes, then set them aside while you prepare the filling.
To make the butter tart filling, use an electric mixer to mix together butter, brown sugar, cornstarch, and maple syrup. Once the batter is smooth, you can stir in the pecans and raisins or dried currants. Then you just scoop the filling into the tart shells and bake them AT 375F for about 15 minutes until the filling is all bubbly.
Let the tarts cool completely, and then they’re all ready to be devoured – Enjoy!
Side note: You can substitute the pecans in this recipe for walnuts, or if you want to make this recipe nut-free as well, omit the nuts completely and add more dried currants or raisins.
- 18, 3” Tart Shells
- 3/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- 3/4 Cup Raisins or Dried Currants
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Place the tart shells on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then set aside. In a stand mixer, mix together the butter, brown sugar, cornstarch and maple syrup until smooth.
- Stir in the pecans and currants.
- Scoop approximately 1 tablespoon of the filling into each of the tart shells.
- Return the tarts to the oven and bake at 375°F for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g