Shortbread Cookies are delicious cookies we often see around the holidays. This recipe makes a dozen vegan Christmas cookies that are both buttery and crumbly at the same time. A traditional shortbread cookie uses a recipe that is made with a 1:2:3 ratio of sugar, butter and flour. I was sad to discover that this 1:2:3 method just does not work well with some vegan butters. Holiday baking just isn’t complete without a batch of shortbread cookies though. I was determined to make a recipe that works well every time. Through trial and error, I found just the right blend of ingredients to make buttery, crumbly cookies that Santa is sure to love.
This recipe makes one single batch of vegan shortbread cookies, approximately one dozen. I have not yet tried doubling this recipe yet, so if you do, please add a comment below and let me know how they turn out! In an effort to make perfect cookies, I had to veer away from the traditional recipe a little bit. This recipe for vegan shortbread cookies uses vegetable shortening with some added vanilla, to create melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies just like the ones I grew up with.
You might like these recipes:
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 12 Candied Cherries (Glace Cherries)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a stand mixer, beat the vegetable shortening together with the vanilla, until smooth.
- Add the sugar and powdered sugar, and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, and mix on medium high speed until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll the dough into 12 equal sized balls, approximately 1" in diameter, and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Press a cherry into the top of each cookie, then bake for 13 - 15 minutes. Remove the cookies just before the bottoms turn golden brown.
- Let cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g