Vegan Lentil loaf is a perfect main dish for Sunday dinner! I was trying to decide what to make for dinner tonight when I decided to try something new. Lentil Loaf has been on my recipe radar for a while now; ever since my friend made one when they had us over for dinner several years ago. I figured today was as good a day as any to give it a go, so I got to work cooking down some green lentils. I was excited and a little skeptical about how it was going to turn out; but the lentil loaf turned out amazing. I am adding it to my mental list of favorite recipes that I need to have again.
This recipe is made with green lentils and fresh vegetables. Lentil loaf is vegan, wheat free and nut free. If you are making this recipe gluten-free, be sure that you confirm your oats and vegan Worcestershire sauce is also gluten-free.
You might also like this:
- 1 Cup Dried Green Lentils
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3/4 Cup Celery, diced
- 3/4 Cup Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Oats
- 3 Tbsp Flax
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, Vegan, Gluten Free
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Bring lentils and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Cover, and let cook for 25 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a large skillet, for approximately 3 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery and peppers to the skillet and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Mix together the cooked lentils, vegetables, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, tomato paste, oats, and flax.
- Press the filling into a parchment lined loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the Sauce Topping: Worcestershire sauce, Tomato Paste, and the maple syrup. Set aside.
- Bake the loaf at 350°F for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and spread the Sauce Topping over the loaf. Return to the oven to bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let the lentil loaf rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 480mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g