I recently made a lentil loaf that was absolutely delicious, so I decided to switch up a few of the ingredients and bake a Vegan Chickpea Loaf. This vegan loaf is made with split chickpeas and seasonings, and baked with a sweet mustard sauce. The flavor of this vegan loaf does not mimic a meatloaf, but instead plays with the own unique flavors of the chickpeas and vegetables to make a dish that stands alone and speaks for itself. If you are looking for a vegan meatloaf style recipe, try my recipe for Lentil Loaf.
This recipe for Chickpea Vegan Loaf with Sweet Mustard Sauce is:
Vegan friendly, made without eggs, dairy, or any other animal products. This chickpea veggie loaf is also gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free; this makes it perfect for people with food allergies or those who are doing an elimination diet. This recipe is healthy, full of vegetables and legumes, and makes a delicious vegan-friendly main dish for dinner.
- 1 Cup Dried Split Chickpeas
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3/4 Cup Celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Carrots, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Oats
- 3 Tbsp Flax
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tsp Ground Mustard
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Rinse the dried split chickpeas, then add them to a medium sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Bring to a simmer, then cover, and cook over low heat for 35 minutes until chickpeas are tender.
- While the chickpeas cook, prepare the vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Drain the water from the chickpeas and place the cooked split chickpeas in large mixing bowl.
- Add the vegetables, oats, flax, salt, pepper, oregano, Paprika, turmeric, ground mustard, and maple syrup.
- Mix the ingredients together with your hands, then press into a parchment lined loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Pour half of the sauce over the loaf.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, then pour the remaining sauce over the loaf and return to the oven and bake for 25 more minutes.
- Serve with Sweet Mustard Sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g