Hearty Vegan Vegetable Soup Recipe
This vegan friendly, hearty vegetable soup is made with simply, healthy ingredients like carrots, kidney beans, potatoes and celery. Rich in flavor and protein, this dish is perfect for a vegan dinner and makes plenty so you can have leftovers for lunch as well! You can cook this soup in a large pot or a Dutch oven on the stove top. This delicious vegetable soup really is borderline soup / stew – and I honestly had a hard time deciding whether or not to deem this recipe a hearty vegetable soup, a vegan stew. My general consensus was that this soup is a hearty vegan soup, if it had less broth, I would have deemed it a stew, given the thick broth and larger pieces of vegetables. Either way, it is delicious, healthy and perfect for a cozy meal to warm you up – it try it served with homemade vegan biscuits.
This Hearty Vegetable Soup is:
Made Without Pre-made Soup Stock
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Celery Ribs, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 3 Carrots, Diced
- 5 Medium Yellow Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed
- 1 Tomato, Diced
- 1 Can Kidney Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, Vegan
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 4-5 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 4 Tbsp Cold Water
- In a large soup pot or Dutch Oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the celery and bell peppers, and sauté for an additional 2- 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, kidney beans, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika. Then add the water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for 35 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with 3 – 4 Tbsp of cold water, until you have a smooth slurry. Slowly add 1/4 Cup of the hot soup broth into the slurry. Stir this into the soup pot.
- Let the stew simmer for 5 – 10 more minutes, before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g